Reporting crime online – Anyone who wants to report a crime (non-emergency) in London is asked to do so via the Metropolitan Police’s website or by tweeting @MetCC. The public should only call 999 in an emergency.
Closed Premises – The Metropolitan Police have provided the following advice:
- Test your alarm, ensure it is monitored and fully operational
- Identify any vulnerable areas. Rectify these. Ensure security gates, bollards and fire exit doors have been secured prior to closure of the premises.
- Make sure you have list of key holders who can be contacted in times of emergency.
- Consider moving high value items into secured stockrooms and out of view.
- Ensure keys to the premises or other venues are not left inside and are instead with dedicated key holders.
- Consider timer switches or ensure sufficient lighting is left on at the premises/surrounding area.
- Ensure there are no combustible materials left in the proximity of the building such as packaging – consider the risk of arson.
- Review your CCTV to confirm it is operational, provides good quality images and is positioned to cover as much of the stores public and private areas. You may wish to consider a mobile phone app that allows connectivity and a vocal capacity to engage with any intruder.
- Ensure that no cash is retained on the premises overnight (leave a note on the door stating that no cash or valuables are kept overnight) or store then in a security accredited safe bolted to the floor.
- Please also be sure to inform your insurer and your waste collection provider so that they can focus resources where needed.
Top 10 Security Tips for Closed Business and Top 10 Cyber Security Tips for Working at Home – Secured by Design, the Police Digital Security Centre and the National Counter Terrorism Security Office have put together this bite sized information to guide your business here.
Coronavirus SMS and Text Message Scams – information from National Cyber Security Centre here
Improving Workplace Cyber Security – course from Police Digital Security Centre (PDSC) here