GUIDELINES FOR SAFE WORKING
Below are UK Government guidelines to help employers, employees and the self-employed understand how to work safely during the coronavirus pandemic.
These guides cover a range of different types of work. Many businesses operate more than one type of workplace, such as an office, factory and fleet of vehicles. You may need to use more than one of these guides as you think through what you need to do to keep people safe.
- 5 steps to working safely. Practical actions for businesses to take based on 5 main steps.
- Shops and branches. Guidance for people who work in or run shops, branches, stores or similar environments.
- Restaurants offering takeaway or delivery. Guidance for people who work in or run restaurants offering takeaway or delivery services.
- Construction and outdoor work. Guidance for people who work in or run outdoor working environments.
- Factories, plants and warehouses. Guidance for people who work in or run factories, plants and warehouses.
- Labs and research facilities. Guidance for people who work in or run indoor labs and research facilities and similar environments.
- Offices and contact centres. Guidance for people who work in or run offices, contact centres and similar indoor environments.
- Other people’s homes. Guidance for people working in, visiting or delivering to other people’s homes.
- Vehicles. Guidance for people who work in or from vehicles, including couriers, mobile workers, lorry drivers, on-site transit and work vehicles, field forces and similar.
- Transport For London (TfL)
- TfL Safe Travel Guidelines. Includes details of London’s busiest stations
- Guidance for educational and childcare settings
- You must not reopen if your business is closed under current government rules. Check if your business or venue can open.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
Before restarting work you should ensure the safety of the workplace. The Health and Safety Executive have produced guidance to help you work safely (be COVID-secure) and manage the risk associated with running your business at this time.
- Find out about carrying out a COVID risk assessment for your business here.
- The Health and Safety Executive has guidance for business on how to manage risk and risk assessment at work along with specific advice to help control the risk of coronavirus in workplaces.
- Click here to find the notice you should display in your workplace to show you have followed the government’s guidance on managing the risk of COVID-19.
- More detailed guidance for businesses on controlling the risks of a wide range of specific hazards can be found in The health and safety toolbox: How to control risk at work.